How to Bet on Football Matches
- 1 Different Kinds of Football Bets
- 2 Useful Football Betting Terms
- 3 Tips for Successful Football Betting
- 4 What Is Cash out?
- 5 Conclusion
Football is one of the most important games in sports betting and there are several factors that make it the best sport to bet on. So, if you are new to football betting, this is the best place to get to understand the basics. With this, you can be sure you are on the right track from the time your place your first bet.
This guide on how to bet on football matches covers all the necessary things you need to know to get started. You won’t need to worry about getting overwhelmed with the info as we do our best to keep it simple and clear. If you are looking to bet on your favourite football games, read further in this article to get the gist.
Without further ado, let’s get it started with!
Different Kinds of Football Bets
There are different kinds of football bets that you can place and we think it’s important to get familiar with them if you want to succeed as a football bettor. You might not be placing all your bets on football, depending on the strategy you want to adopt. Nevertheless, it will make sense if you understand at least a little about each bet.
Below, you will find the two most popular football betting types, some other common betting options among punters and the different ways to include multiple games on a single bet.
Football Match Betting
One of the most popular football betting types is Match Betting. In this type of bet, you bet on the outcome of a football match. In the game of football, there are three results that you can place a bet on and these include Win, Draw, or Loss.
In most cases, it is referred to as 1X2 bet. This is so because players can bet on the home team to win (1) or you can bet on both teams to draw (X) and lastly you can bet on the away team to win (2). This type of football bet is common among sports bookies and you will find it at the top of any sportsbook that focuses on football betting. The reason is that most punters are interested in Match Bets.
Double Chance Bets
Another top football bet is the Double Chance bet. Here, punters stake their bet on two different results in a single football game. With this bet, punters have the chance to bet on a draw and a win at the same time. This bet is recommended for punters who want to play it safe, thereby reducing their risk of losing. Compared to Match bet, the odds offered by Double Chance bets are lower, but the odds of winning are very high.
For example, if Chelsea FC is playing at home against Aston Villa in the Champions League and you choose to place a double bet on Chelsea FC (1X), you will win the bet if Chelsea wins the match or it ends in a draw. Additionally, you can likewise bet on either of the teams to come out as the winner (12). In this case, players will lose their bet if the outcome of the game is a draw.
Handicap betting, otherwise known as 3-way betting in football, is also one of the top football betting options. Handicap betting usually involves a goal difference between the two football teams, which gives a hypothetical advantage or disadvantage to the selected team before the game starts.
For instance, you can stake your bet on Manchester United starting a match with Tottenham Hotspur with a 0-2 handicap when they play in the Europa League. In this case, Manchester United must win the match with a minimum of 3 goals for your bet to come out successful.
Asian Handicap Betting
Another type of football betting is the Asian Handicap betting. In this betting type, there are two options and a handicap will be provided so that the odds for both football teams can even out. This type of bet differs from the regular handicap betting because you will only be betting on half and quarter lines. Additionally, you can combine this Asian Handicap bet with other bet types like Total Cards, Corner and Goals.
When it comes to football betting, one of the most popular bets that you can place – especially if you are neutral on both team sides and you just want to enjoy some sporting action – is to bet on Total Goals. In this kind of football bet, you will be required to bet on the total number of goals that will occur in the game. However, this might be too specific for punters who love to bet on Over/Under Total Goals.
In this case, punters will be required to stake their bet on the +3.5 goals being scored in a match between Barcelona FC and Atletico Madrid. What you are staking on here is that four or more goals will be scored. This can be the direct opposite of betting on the -3.5 goals being scored in a game; it means 3 goals or less need to be scored for your bet to be successful.
At this point, we are sure that you have understood the various type of football bets and which ones you would like to place. The choice is yours! You can proceed to 4rabet right now to start wagering on your favourite football games.
Useful Football Betting Terms
Before you start to bet on football, it will make sense for you to understand the terms used in the game. This will go a long way to help you become successful as a football bettor. Below are some of the common football terms that you should get familiar with before you start to bet.
- Accumulator – This is a series of individual bets that are grouped, if each bet wins, then the odds will accumulate. This kind of bet can be risky because all the bets have to come before you can win. However, when it comes through, you might be rolling in thousands or millions.
- Stake – This is the money that you place on a bet. In other words, it is the money you will lose if you don’t win your bet.
- Handicap – This refers to the bet that is offered when one team is at a clear advantage. For instance, take a match between Manchester United and Sunderland. The handicap will give an advantage to the favourite team. In this case, there may be 1 or 2 goals given to the underdog.
- Banker – This is typically the closest thing to certainty as possible. If a bet is considered a banker, then the punter is certain that the bet will come.
- Half Time/Full Time – This type of bet will be split into two. You will need to guess the winner of the first half then the outcome of the entire match. So you can predict a win at half time and then predict a draw for full time.
- Scorecast – This refers to when a punter bets on a player to score the first goal as well as predicting the correct score.
- 90 Minute Betting – This is used when punters stake on a particular player as the goal scorer. If the player plays during the usual 90 minutes, the game is eligible for a bet. Otherwise, it will be called off.
- Wincast – This is similar to a scorecast. However, a punter will be required to bet on a player to score and then forecast the winner of the match.
- Over/Under – This is when you bet on the number of goals that will be scored in a game. This will either bet under or over the amount. For instance, over 3.5 means four or more goals. While under 3.5 means 3 goals or lesser.
- 24 Hour Rule – This is a common rule with most sports bookies. The rules are that if a match is postponed, it will only come out void if it is not played within 24 hours. So if a game was postponed and started 4 hours later, the bet will still be valid.
- DNB – This is an acronym for Draw No Bet, and it means that if the game ended with a draw, you will get your money back. This is a safe option to consider. But players should know that the odds are usually lower.
- Bankroll – This is the total amount that you have to bet with.
- Double Chance – A Double Chance is a bet that requires you to pick a winner. And if they win or draw, you will still win your bet. If the team you pick loses, you will lose your money. Similar to DNB, the odds are very lower. But it offers a safe way to bet.
Tips for Successful Football Betting
Our comprehensive guide on how to bet on football won’t be complete if we don’t provide you with some great tips on how to win and become a successful football bettor. Here are some great football betting tips that can increase your winning chances. If you want to know how to win, then read and implement these tips.
Try not to get greedy
This is one of the most important tips that you should not overlook as a football bettor. Most punters will add lots of bets to their accumulator just to boost the odds. However, this will increase the uncertainty of the bet hitting a win. The lesser the bets you have in your accumulator, the greater the chances of winning. So ensure you always minimise the number of bets you have in a single accumulator.
Don’t bet with your heart, bet with your head
This means that you shouldn’t bet on a team because you want them to win. Avoid being emotional about the game. Only bet on a team because you are sure they will win – even if they are playing against your favourite team!
Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose
This is also another important tip that you should make use of. When betting, ensure that you are only betting with money you can afford to lose. It is important that you develop a money management strategy to keep track of your betting bankroll. Set your betting limits – could be daily, weekly or monthly. With this, you will ensure you are not spending out of budget.
In betting, it is important for you to understand that you can’t win every bet. So you need to have patience when picking a game to bet on.
Don’t bet on friendlies
Friendlies are very unpredictable, so you shouldn’t place a bet on them. Most teams won’t put in much effort to win the match.
What Is Cash out?
This is one of the options available in football betting. The cash-out option will let punters redeem their money before the game they are betting on is over. This is usually offered as part of in-running betting, which is otherwise called live betting or in-play betting. With this option, you can get to take your profit if your bet is winning as well as when it is against you.
In this article, we have discussed all you need to know for you to bet on football. Now that you know how it works, you can go ahead and start betting on your favourite football events!