Martingale Betting System Explained
In the betting industry, there are very few systems that are as simple as the Martingale system and that have survived the test of time as this system did. It has been hailed as one of the simplest betting systems with just a couple of rules to be followed – double the stake after losing and go back to the base stake after winning. No hefty calculations, no working out probabilities and stuff. Although the system is simple, it is quite deceptive as we will see further in this article.
What Is the Martingale Betting System?
A lot of people love putting money on their favourite team or player. Betting like that is okay if you’re just looking for entertainment but it’s usually going to result in losing more money than winning. That is why money management becomes a very important factor in terms of building up a profit. And for that, to place a bet or before taking some risk, it is important to know about betting in general and betting methods.
Each strategy is different so it makes sense to look around and find a strategy that best suits your nature and approach. Martingale betting method is one of the methods in which you bet the base amount on the next wager when you win a wager, but when you lose a bet, you double your next wager. The system is deceptively simple and is based on the premise that you cannot lose many bets in a row.
The strategy was named after John Henry Martindale. J. H. Martindale was a casino owner in London. The spelling of this gentleman’s last name has been lost in translation and finally fixated at Martingale. Let’s go deeper into this concept in the following text.
How Does the Martingale Betting System Work?
The Martingale system is the most popular betting system because of its simplicity. It is primarily used in casino games which offer even money bets. Some good examples are the odd or even outside bets on the roulette table where a player can try this system. It can also be used in card games and in sports betting.
Anyone can quickly learn and start using the Martingale system as it does not involve complicated mathematical formulas and there are no complex equations to memorise here. It is basically a plan which requires a player to double his stake following a losing bet.
For example, if a player wagers a minimum $100 bet in the first attempt and loses, then according to the Martingale system’s rules, the player would wager $200 on the next bet without changing the player, or the team on which he earlier placed his bet on.
If he loses again, then the next bet will be $400 and so on. Thus, doubling the bet after every loss assuming, wrongly, that the win is around the corner. Then, if and when the player eventually wins he will regain all of his losses plus a little more and his next bet will return to the original base price of $100 to start the system again.
To simplify it, let’s look at the following image:
How to Use the Martingale Betting System
Martingale betting system is good to use when one has enough money to invest and can cope with a huge amount of losses on the way to the win. Similarly, while placing bets using this method, one has to remember that you’re going to play for no more than an hour or two because that may cause you losses if you lose your consecutive bets. In exchange for increasing your chances of winning, you’re willing to lose a larger amount than normal if you do lose.
While using this method we have to consider some facts to avoid losses such as the fact that the money we have is limited. Thus, the number of times we can lose in a row is limited to the amount we have. Similarly, since only a single 1 unit win is possible at a time, the player needs to play a lot to make decent gains. There are more losses and fewer gains in this system. And from the anecdotal references, it has been proven that the longer you play, the more losses you will suffer.
Should You Ever Use the Martingale System?
The risk and reward ratio of Martingale betting system is generally not in favour of a player. The size of the bet can reach a mammoth proportion after a first few bets and in case the player has to back out due to insufficient funds, the losses will be huge. Thus, it may seem a sure-shot winning strategy for someone with a huge bankroll, however, in reality, very few have that kind of money to spare.
Also, if there are upper limits on bets, then it fundamentally breaks the basic laws of the Martingale betting system. If you continue playing it for a long time, the risk becomes too high for too little profit or there may not be any at the end of it all. The users are advised to play at their own discretion.
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of the Martingale Betting System?
- The martingale system is one the simplest systems out there to understand and apply in practice. Thus, it would be a fair game even if a beginner goes up against an experienced player campaigner.
- Martingale method is effective only when there are few factors that one must account for. The first one is the available amount in the kitty. The next one is how much money you place on your first bet – the base price, and last, but not least, is how long can you keep increasing the bets. This system is not efficient in long-running games. It is best recommended to play a few hours at a time until you have won enough money and then quit playing further.
- If you keep on doubling your bet each time you lose, you are bound to win back the amount lost as well as improving your net winnings.
- If you are still in the learning process of betting methods or if you are new to any game of betting, then the use of the Martingale betting system will help you recover your losses.
- If you are an experienced casino player or have vast experience in betting, using this strategy progressively increases your bet which helps you to recover your losses and generate profit.
- The Martingale does not tell you how low or high you could go. The bet entirely depends on us which, in turn, will ultimately depend on the amount of money we set aside to play.
- It is based on a flawed concept that you just cannot keep losing and there will be a time when you will definitely win.
- Your odds are unlikely to improve in the long run. The longer you play, the more you are likely to lose.
- It only works if you stick to the strategy. It might take you some time before you win so you need to have patience. You also need to know when it’s time to count your losses and walk away.
- Martingale betting system is best for those players who have a rather big purse, in case you are on a losing streak and need to boost your bet. It depletes your money at a faster rate.
- If you are in a bad case of losing, you will not be able to increase your bet once you have hit that cap because nowadays there is a limit on maximum bet in many betting games which contradicts the fundamental concept of this system.
- If we double bets while using this method, it makes them grow in geometric progression. So, generally, when you are about to use this method, it is recommended to begin with a small initial bet. This drawback is the main concern if we look at it from a mathematical perspective.
Martingale’s method helps players and allows them to play the odds and the method is considered efficient to make a profit. However, if the profit doesn’t come early and the player doesn’t stop in time, the ultimate loss will occur. There is always a risk factor while playing with betting strategies, but if you think it is a risk worth taking and you can also afford to face the consequences, then the Martingale method will certainly help you make a profit.
Although doubling the bet after a loss will provide wins, a losing streak will wipe out any progress. If we overcome some drawbacks mentioned above and if we have unlimited capital and no limits for bets, then it will be a good method to contemplate using while betting and then you may finally win with the help of the Martingale strategy.